- Name: Giovanni Serafino (born on 24/08/80).
- Position: Post-doc researcher in TeCIP Institute for Scuola Sant’Anna di Pisa.
- Studies: He received the M.S. degree in Telecommunication Engineering in 2009 from Università di Pisa, Italy, and the Ph.D. degree in Emerging Digital Technologies from the Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna of Pisa, Italy, in 2013.
- Previous experiences: He is with PNTLab (formerly LNRF – Laboratorio Nazionale di Reti Fotoniche) from 2009.
His early research interests have been in the areas of all-optical signal processing, fiber-optic transmission systems, and reconfigurable nodes for optical networks. He has been involved in all-optical signal processing activities, in particular in 3R all-optical regeneration, and all-optical networking (all-optical buffering, all-optical logical operations on data packets, wavelength and modulation formats conversion). More recently, he has being studying applications of microwave photonics techniques to radar systems and wireless communications; recently, he focused his research activities on optical beamforming networks for future 5G RF wireless signals.
Currently, he is involved in many projects on optical communications and photonics for microwave and millimeter wave applications both for communications and remote sensing. He carries on experimental activities on wireless communications systems, like optical up- and down-conversion of wideband RF signals. His research activities related to radar systems applications are mainly focused on optical generation of ultra-stable RF carriers over wide frequency ranges, optical generation of wideband amplitude- and phase-modulated RF signals, precise optical sampling of RF signals, processing of optical samples for high-sampling-rate RF receivers, optical beam-forming by phase shift and true-time delay, and radio-over-fiber.
– IEEE Photonics Society Japan Best Student’s Paper Award at Photonics in Switching Conference in 2013;
– GTTI national award for the best Ph.D. Thesis.
He is coauthor of more than 20 papers on international journals and more than 30 papers on conference proceedings.